Shaved my hair!

Shaved my hair!

Santa and Joshua

Santa and Joshua

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wow

My last post was almost 2 years ago to the day! Unfortunatly I am adding a new post because my cancer has returned. The thymic carcinoma has metasticized (spread) to a lymph node in the right side of my neck. I felt the lump on November 8th, while I was visiting my wife Michelle, who was in the hospital for her own health issues. Michelle was having severe chest pain, and we have found out that she has a new blockage. She has already had 3 stentsput in since 2004. Unfortunatly the new blockage is in a bad spot to put in a stent, so for now we are trying to address the pain with different prescriptions and possibly her going on oxygen. Surgery may be our only option in the near future.

We had a biopsy done, as well as a new CT Scan on the new mass, and it came back positive. We then consulted with our team of doctors, my primary physician, my primary oncolgist, my radiologist, and an ear, nose, throat to discuss our options. We also had the Tumor Board at the University of Michigan take a look at my case and it was decided that having the mass revoved surgically was too risky. Recomendations were agreed apon to start me on a new round of chemo and radiation treatments. A different drug will be used this time around, called Taxol as well as one that I had used before which is called Carboplatin. Instead of 3 days a week, every 3 weeks...I will be getting these given thru IV 1 day a week (on Fridays) every 3 weeks. My first treatment will be on Friday December 4th.
I will then be starting radiation treatments on Monday December 28th. I will be going 5 days a week (Monday - Friday) for 5 weeks straight.

I also will be having a PET Scan on December 8th. This will be of my entire body to check if the cancer has spread anywhere else. If it has we will be re-evaluating if radiation treatment is still an option. This will be a very important scan.

I am hoping I will be able to work while going thru most of these treatments, but I have already booked off the weeks where my chemo and radiation coincide. Those will be very tiring weeks.

I know people will say..do not appologize...but I am sure I will. I will try to keep this blog updated on a regular basis. I will kind of think of this as a diary of whats been going on in our life. I appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and all the messages people leave us. We are very blessed to have such a close family and great friends.

Tomorrow we will be celebrating the American Thanksgiving as I was on call on Thursday. I cannot wait!

I will write again soon to fill you in on the most amazing thing that has happened to us this year. Our daughter Jessica gave birth to an absolutly incredible baby boy. His name is Joshua and just turned 3 months old. He is so very cute!

Ok, thats all for now. It is beautiful out, so I must go put some Christmas decorations up.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Talk to you all soon.

1 comment:

Jonathan Matthews said...

Fight it Chuck! Don't let it have its way....we're thinking of you Michelle everyday. Please let us know if and how we can help.
Love,
Jon & Claire