Shaved my hair!

Shaved my hair!

Santa and Joshua

Santa and Joshua

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry Christmas everyone

Well, I will never get a job as a blogger that's for sure. Sorry I haven't written since my first chemo treatment 3 weeks ago.
For those on Facebook, you will have read some of the side effects I have been going thru.
It was diffenitely a rough couple of weeks. Thank goodness they gave me something for nausea, I think thats the only thing I didnt experience after that initial therapy. That being said, what I did go thru wasn't fun.
The new chemo drug they put me on this time around is called Taxol. I am also on Carboplatin, plus I was given Neulasta to help keep my white blood cell count up.

Almost immediately my energy level was zapped. But the worst was the neuropathy. All of my joints ached. My ankles, feet, knees, elbows, shoulders and lower back. I needed crutches to get into town for my Pet Scan. I hate calling into the doctors office, but I did, and they said it was just a side effect of the Taxol, as well as the Neulasta.

The PET SCAN came back clear! (except for the tumor in my neck) This is awesome news. At least now we know exactly what we are fighting. Plus this allows me to go ahead with the radiation treatment.

I returned to work on the 14th. I was pretty tired, but it was manageable. Naps at lunch time helped. I was also on-call for work for a week straight, and it was the busiest on-call I have ever had. I think I ended up with just over 17 hours of on call! One night i worked till 7pm (suppose to be off at 6), then had to go back out around 9pm and got home around midnight.
I guess its true that God wont give you more than what you can handle. But I must admit, I think I was getting close.

I am now off for a week, as I start radiation treatment on Monday.
My chemo treatments have also be changed up. Since my radiation is a go, my Oncologist would now like me to have chemo weekly instead of every three weeks. They lowered the dose of Taxol, no steroids, and no neulasta. In theory I shouldn't have the side effects I had the first time around. But with radiation and chemo all at the same time, I know I will be very tired.
Next week, I will have my chemo on Thursday, and then back to Fridays. I am hoping I will be able to go back to work on January 4th.

The other side effect that I never really went thru in 2007 is the loss of my hair. In 2007 my hair just kinda thinned out. But this time around, 2 weeks after my first chemo, hair would just come out in clumps. So, I have shaved my head. Good thing I don't mind short hair.

I guess the adrenaline of Christmas morning really got me going, because it was an absolutely amazing day. Michelle was up early, I woke up around 7 and Erica up around 8am. Santa had arrived! It was a great morning. Round one ended around 9:15am then the second round started around 10 as Mom and Dad Lewis arrived as well as Jessica, Nick and grandson Joshua. We were also joined by Kim (Michelle's sister) Doug and Kyle.
Even though Josh just sat looking cute, it was still a very special Christmas morning to see the gifts that he received. I already cant wait till next year when he will be 16 months old!
We enjoyed a great brunch and really had a wonderful time together.

Dinner was low key, I decided to make a roast with yorkshire pudding (my first attempt). They turned out great. Very yummy.

I slept very well last night.

We went thru a family scare this past week, as our Uncle John and cousin Jason, were over come by carbon monoxide poisoning as they were working in the garage. Luckily they were found and 911 was called. They were both taken to ER, Jason was given oxygen and did not have to be admitted to the hospital. Uncle John on the other hand coded a number of times, and did have a severe heart attack. As it turns out, he has a number of blood clots around his heart (unrelated to the carbon monoxide poisoning). If he had not been at the hospital and had the heart attack, he probably would not have survived it. It was a blessing in disguise that he had to be taken to the hospital! He is now home and he and Jason are doing well.

In 2007 when I was going thru my first treatments, a highlight of that year was my very good friend, Jon Matthews and his wife Claire giving birth to beautiful Gwen. Well, here we are again, and a highlight of these holidays was another addition to their family. Ella was on December 21st. Congratulations Claire and Jon. I know Claire wants more kids, hopefully I wont be going thru more treatments!

Ok, computer just started to freeze up. So I better end here. I hope everyone is having a great holiday. I will try to get on here more often.
Radiation starts Monday and chemo again on Thursday.

Talk to you all soon.


Mel Majoros said...

Never never be afraid to call your doctors about anything. That is their job. I know what you mean about feeling like you are bothering them, but it is YOUR health and if there is anything that feels odd or different to you call them and let them know.

Teresa said...

I know you dont know me but I know your family, Michelle and the girls.....You and the fam are in my prayers daily. You are a very strong man and I know that Michelle loves you very much. Hang in there Charlie, you are correct when you say "God wont give you more than you can handle"
big hugz and tons of love

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting and looking everyday for your blog. It gives ME strength to see the courage you have. We will make it through the raditation and chemo. God answered our prayers for John and Jason and I know He is listening for all the prayers that you are getting. My friend Cindy said that she has you on her prayer list too. Hang in there Charlie, you are doing a great job.